Pursuing A Personal Injury Claim After An Accident While Using Public Transportation

Pursuing A Personal Injury Claim After An Accident While Using Public Transportation

Public transportation is an affordable way to get where you need to go. When you are taking public transportation, such as C-TRAN, which is Clark County’s public transportation agency, or the Portland Streetcar, you expect to arrive to your destination safely.

If you have been involved in an accident while taking public transportation, you can pursue a personal injury claim. However, filing a claim against a government agency isn’t the same as a claim against an individual or a business.

Pursuing A Claim Against Public Transportation

To file a claim against a government entity, specific protocol must be followed. If you were injured in an accident on C-TRAN, you will file a claim against Clark County. You must complete a Tort Claim Notice and deliver it to the Clark County Office of Risk Management.

They will not accept emails, faxes, or copies of the notice. It must be the actual notice delivered to the office. The Tort Claim Notice must be completed in detail and have supporting evidence and documentation.

If your claim is denied, or if you aren’t offered a settlement large enough to cover your damages, you can file a lawsuit. There are limitations for the amount you can recover in a personal injury claim against a government agency for an accident.

To have a successful claim against the public transportation operator, you must prove liability and show that the accident that caused your injuries was directly caused by the negligence and/or wrongdoing of government employees who were working for and representing the agency in question.

Consult With A Personal Injury Lawyer

If you have been injured in an accident involving public transportation, you will need to enlist the help of a personal injury lawyer. The claims process is complex, and your claim form must be filled out in detail and delivered within a specific timeframe.

For help with a claim after being injured in an accident involving public transportation in the Portland-Vancouver metro area, contact The Harlan Law Firm. Call for a free case review today.