Car Accidents in Rainy Weather
Rain increases the risk of fatal car crashes significantly, according to many studies. Some report that rain, regardless of whether it is a slight drizzle or a downpour, increases the chances of being involved in a fatal car crash by as much as 34 percent. While the rain is partly to blame, much of the cause of the crash falls on the responsibility of the driver and his or her failure to use extra caution because of the weather.
There are several things that drivers can do to reduce the risk of being in an accident in the rain. Some of those safety tips include:
- Slowing down
- Be alert and stay aware of the possibility of hydroplaning
- Be aware that roads could be slippery, so use extreme caution
- Drive with your headlights on to improve visibility
- Check your brakes and do not slam your brakes
- Avoid riding on the edges of the roadway as shoulders can give way
- Do not drive straight through large puddles
- Allow for extra travel time, so leave early
- Use less pressure when braking and start braking earlier
- Keep your distance from vehicles in front of you
- If it is raining hard and you have near zero visibility, pull over and wait
- Never cross through running water because it could be deeper than you think, and your vehicle could be pushed by the water
If you have suffered injuries in an auto accident that occurred in rainy weather because a driver was negligent and failed to take the proper precautions, you may be able to recover damages through a personal injury claim. Always call the police to ensure an accident report is completed and maintain evidence to support your claim. Keep copies of medical bills, keep medical records, get repair estimates, and document missed work and lost wages.
After an auto accident in rainy weather, you should consult with a personal injury attorney. The team at Harlan Law Firm is experienced in helping individuals who have suffered losses because of auto accidents. Ask for a free case evaluation today, so you can determine the best way to proceed with your auto accident injury claim after an auto accident in the rain.