What Do If You Have Been In A Hit And Run Accident

What Do If You Have Been In A Hit And Run Accident

You were driving down the street when a car came out of nowhere and hit you. As you started to get out of your vehicle, the other car sped off and drove out of sight. You have found yourself the victim of a hit and run accident. Try to remember as many details as you can. Information such as the color of the vehicle, the make and model of car, its direction of travel, and even a partial license plate number can help officers track down the driver who left the scene.

Just as you would with any other accident, call the police. You will need an accident report completed by law enforcement. If there are any witnesses, be sure to ask them to provide written statements. You will need the names of any witnesses along with their contact details. Witnesses can back up your story and confirm that another car hit you. Otherwise, if the hit and run driver isn’t tracked down, your insurance company could allege that you damaged your car on your own.

Filing A Claim for Damages

If the other driver is tracked down, you will file a personal injury claim against them. You will need to prove that they are liable for your damages and that their negligence caused your damages. If the other driver isn’t identified, then you will need to file a claim with your own insurance. In this case, you will want to file a claim with your underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage. You must be able to prove that another motorist caused the crash, so corroborating witness statements or some other kind of evidence is essential.

The responding police officer will investigate the crash and check your car for proof of the other vehicle’s involvement. It could be a dent, paint marks, or something similar that shows you were hit by another car. If you have a dash camera, or if there is a traffic camera or surveillance camera in the area, some or all the accident may have been caught on video. That video can be used as supporting evidence for your claim after a hit and run accident.

Consult With A Personal Injury Attorney

If you have suffered damages in a hit and run accident, you should consult with a personal injury attorney who handles hit and run claims in the Portland/Vancouver metro area. Call the Harlan Law Firm at (360) 735-8200 to schedule a free case evaluation for pursuing a claim after your hit and run accident.